Auto Accident FAQs

What should I do if I am in an auto accident?

Auto accidentFollowing an auto accident, it is important to first call the police and then seek medical treatment. It is important to keep in mind that the shock of being in a collision may hide any pain until hours or even days after the accident. You need to be aware that with the new PIP laws, you need to seek treatment with qualified medical providers within the required time frame. Our Melbourne, Florida motorcycle and car accident lawyers can assist you with every step of the process after you have been in an accident. You should be careful to preserve evidence and obtain the name and addresses to witnesses of the collision. Typically the investigating officer will obtain witness information; however, there are times where important witnesses are not included on the police report. Most importantly, before you speak to the at-fault driver’s insurance company about your injury or any other aspect of the accident, contact the Derrick Connell to discuss your accident.

Who covers the cost of damages to my car?

If the accident was caused by another driver, then the other driver is responsible. You can choose to have your vehicle repaired or replaced by the at fault party’s insurance company. If you have collision coverage on your policy, you can use your own insurance or choose to use the other person’s insurance.

Should I take pictures of the accident scene?

If you have a camera or camera phone available at the accident scene, you should take photographs to document the accident, even if the police or someone else is taking pictures. If you do not have a camera available at the scene, you should still take photographs of your vehicle after you leave the accident scene, to document the property damage that has been sustained. Once you come to Injured Brevard, we will also take photographs of your vehicle and document the damage.

How much is my auto accident case worth?

If you have been in an automobile accident, then it is only natural that you would want to know how much your claim is worth. After all, someone has wronged you by causing you physical and mental harm. Therefore, you will want to collect compensation for the things that you lost due to the accident. A personal injury settlement can get you the funds you need for your current medical bills, future medical bills, household bills, automobile repairs and more. It is impossible to answer this question in the beginning. However, there are many factors that can help determine the value of your case:

  • If someone else’s negligence caused the auto accident and you sustained injuries, one of our lawyers can help you obtain any payment you are entitled to for your medical bills and treatment. This would include past and future medical bills.
  • If you were seriously injured and missed time from work, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages or loss of earning capacity in the future. Our proven Melbourne, Florida auto accident lawyers can help you retain such compensation.
  • If you sustained a permanent injury as a result of the accident, you may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering damages.
  • If someone else’s negligence caused the auto accident and you sustained damage to your vehicle, one of our lawyers can help you obtain any payment you are entitled to for your rental car, property damage and diminished value of your vehicle.

There is no proven formula to determine exactly how much a case is worth. It will depend on all the facts of your particular accident and related injuries.

How will my medical expenses get paid?

Florida is a “no-fault” state. Vehicle owners are required purchase a policy of insurance providing personal injury protection coverage. Personal injury protection (PIP) policies provide for 80% of payment of your medical bills up to a limit of $10,000.00. If you were a visitor and driving a vehicle not licensed in Florida, you may not be covered by PIP insurance. A vehicle owner’s PIP insurance also covers injured passengers that do not have their own PIP insurance.

The person that caused the injury will be responsible for medical bills not covered by PIP coverage. The person causing the accident will be responsible for the additional 20% of medical bills in addition to any amount exceeding your policy limits of $10,000.00. However, the responsible person’s insurance company will not pay medical bills as they are accrued. Instead, unpaid medicals are included as part of the final settlement or a verdict if the case proceeds to trial.

There is optional coverage available for payment for medical bills above the PIP limits. This coverage is called med-pay insurance. If you have med-pay coverage, your insurance company should pay 100% of your medical expenses up to the limits of coverage.

Does my auto insurance cover my motorcycle accident?

In Florida, insurance is not required for the owner and rider of a motorcycle. Furthermore, the PIP coverage a motorcycle owner may have on his car will not cover the owner if injured on a motorcycle. Our Melbourne, Florida auto accident lawyers can help answer more of your questions concerning motorcycle accidents.

Do I need a lawyer?

Most of the time, insurance adjusters attempt to discourage you from calling a lawyer. However, studies show that accident victims represented by lawyers generally obtain larger recoveries than those who aren’t represented. Proper management of medical and insurance matters associated with automobile accidents can be difficult and the unrepresented accident victim may forgo valuable claims. Therefore, if you are injured in an automobile accident you need to consult with a lawyer.

If you have been injured in an auto accident in the Melbourne, Palm Bay, Viera, or Titusville area, or anywhere in Brevard County, it is important to contact a Injured Brevard car wreck lawyer who can assist you in pursuing your claim. If you are in need of assistance, the car accident attorneys at Injured Brevard are available to answer any questions you may have regarding your accident. Call us at 321-444-4444. And remember, there are no fees or costs unless we recover for you.